Monday, May 2, 2011

Word Study on "Cup"

Word Study on Cup

by Michelle Myers on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 8:43pm
January 10, 2007
Word Study on Cup
Inspired by Diane Vaughan

PS 116:13 I shall lift up the cup of salvation –
This whole chapter is pretty amazing to me. Talk about the cords of death and terrors of Sheol coming upon me… finding distress and sorrow! These words encompassed me for a time in my past. The words clearly describe what surrounded me. It was where I was at in mind and emotion. I’m amazed and thankful to read about David and what it was like for him and how he chose to return to the Lord with his mind and his words. He chose to focus on the character of God and remind himself of His promises:

“I love the Lord because He hears my voice and prayers!
I shall call upon Him as long as I live!
He is gracious and righteousness
He is compassionate
He preserves the simple
He saves and rescues from death and tears
He keeps my feet from stumbling”

“What can I give the Lord for all His benefits to me?
I shall lift up the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord.”

Questions to ask:
What am I to lift up? The cup.
What is the cup of salvation? My life saved by grace!
How do I “lift up?” Offer it in worship.
What is the cup filled with? Me stuff or God’s stuff?
Am I the one who chooses what it is filled with?
What does the Word say?

My cup. What is it full of?
• Abundance of blessings and promises from the Lord (Ps116)
• My desires, hopes, dreams, ambitions, aspirations, visions
• Thankfulness, praise, adoration, worship, love for Jesus

----------------------------------------
A cup is sometimes used as an illustration of judgment , but sometimes a blessing. It is interesting to note that Christ fulfilled both on the cross when He described His suffering and His life as a cup. Judgment of sin was appeased on the cross and the promise and blessing of a new covenant and future was fulfilled by Christ at the cross. He was the cup of judgment and the cup of promise and blessing.
-----------------------------------------
Jeremiah 16: 7 Nor give them the cup of consolation –
The Lord is describing a serious result of sin – the sin of Israel’s forefathers and their own sin at the present time. What is it? Following other gods and serving them. Forsaking God and not keeping His law. Each one is walking according to the stubbornness of his won will/evil heart without listening to God.
-----------------------------------------
Luke 22:20 The cup poured out –
“This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood…”
Jesus was talking about His own life when referring to the cup. It was His life, His will, His offering to God to restore the relationship between God and man by creating a new covenant. His life was the salvation and that salvation is in me. I drink of the cup. I believe in this new covenant. I am filled with His life, His salvation.
In this passage there seems to be an example or analogy of how we are to take the cup and lift it up…to drink and take in. Jesus disciples had no clue what meaning this Passover had for them at the time. They took of the cup, put it to their lips and drank it. I may be taking this too far but just as baptizing is a picture of being buried and resurrected into new life, could this picture of taking the cup and drinking mean that we believe (and receive or take in) and take part in the life of Christ? He wants us to taste and see not only that He is good, but that He wants us to taste what it is like to live for Him… to accept His sacrifice and take part in His sufferings? See Romans 8
The cup of salvation – does it mean our lives saved by grace? To “lift up” the cup could mean to give praise and offer up our lives in worship to the Lord.
----------------------------------------------
Gen 40:11 Dream given to Joseph –
Pharaoh’s cup is filled with squeezed grapes and given to him by the chief cupbearer. The cupbearer was restored to his position in three days.
----------------------------------------------
Ps 23:5 My cup overflows –
v4“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.”
He gives me abundance of blessing and sustains me with the food I need even in the valley and in the midst of my enemies. He anoints my head with oil and my cup runs over with bountiful blessings. He is with me in my darkest moments and I do not need to fear evil or death. He comforts, disciplines, and guides me with His rod and His staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment