Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Walk by faith, not by sight!

The statement above, in some Christian circles, can almost be a cliche. It is a true one, nonetheless. To live this truth all day, every day would be phenomenal. But think of it! Because I am a child of God, I already have His grace and promises. By God's grace and promises, I am walking in the truth that He loves me, and because of this simple truth He loves me, I follow Him. I do it out of overflowing love for Him. Because I follow Him, I will trust Him. He has provided all I need to walk by faith and not by sight.

In his booklet, The Overcoming Life, D.L. Moody presents three points on how we can live to be overcomers and see victory in our lives:

1. "Live by faith"
Think of Galatians 2:20. "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
If God is for me, if He is Immanuel or "God with us," then I am going to overcome. Moody asks, "How do we get this power?" The answer: By faith.

How do you live? Are you deceiving yourself? Is there a lifestyle of true repentance and change, or is there an ongoing habitual lifestyle of not trusting Your Savior? Is He really first or are you first? What needs to be done to change this? Do you really want to change? Do you really care how you live?

2. "Stand by faith"
Romans 11:20 "Because of unbelief they were broken off; and you stand by faith." What an incredible gift we are given! So many Jews, the very chosen people of God, were broken off because of unbelief. BUT God had a plan all along to make a way for the rest of us to be "grafted" into the vine! Into Him! Into His promises! We STAND by faith, "on account of our belief," as Moody puts it! Beautiful!

3. "Walk by faith"
2 Corinthians 5:7 says, "We walk by faith, not by sight."
It is the simple fact that I am called to walk and to keep walking. To live, and to keep living. Not for myself, or even by myself, but WITH Him and FOR Him! But if I am so busy looking about me, checking out others, comparing, obsessing about how I might be the best, be approved, be successful, EVEN in ministry, then I do not know Calvary love and have so much to learn about faith in Christ! Moody compares the lives of some men, living by faith and living by sight. If you have spent any time in the Word, you would understand why: Joseph and Jacob. Lot and Abraham.

Our flesh wants to see in order to believe. But "Jesus makes no mistake...when He enlists a man for His service, He shows him the dark side; He lets him know that he must live a life of self-denial...Many men want a religion in which there is no cross, but we cannot enter that way. If we are to be disciples of Christ, we must deny ourselves and take up the cross and follow Him. So let us sit down and count the cost." D.L. Moody

Dear sons, may you count the cost, as much as see the victory ahead! Remember who you fight for!

Lovemom

No comments:

Post a Comment